Wok On Inn, The Rocks (29th April 2013)

It has been many weeks since I started working from the office in the Circular Quay area yet when it comes to lunch, I often am at loss on where to go and then find myself returning to the same lunch spots week after week. Having my staple eating joints are great but I get bored at times and just want to try something new so I decided to go through the Entertainment Book and pulled out all the vouchers to food places within walking distance from my office. Hmm, how about Wok On Inn for lunch today?

About 12pm, I took a short stroll over to The Rocks Square where the noodle bar was located. Tucked at one corner of the square, Wok On Inn serves takeaway Asian meals made fresh on order. First, pick a style from the 8 regions in Asia (China, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Japan, Korea, Mongolia or Indonesia), then choose a noodle type (egg, hokkien, rice, vermicelli, udon or rice sheet) or jasmine rice. Select a choice of star ingredient (vegetables, tofu, chicken, beef, prawn, seafood or combination), pay for your meal and voila, in less than 10 minutes, your number is called and takeaway ready for collection. Feel slightly overwhelmed by the choices? Then pick from one of the popular street food on the menu which includes pad thai and nasi goreng. You can't go wrong with a classic! They also serve sides, kids' size meals as well as soups (choice of laksa or wonton, both served with noodles). Service was speedy and hardly any queue during the lunchtime rush.

I went for their Special Nasi Goreng with Chicken which was part of their daily specials today. The lunch specials normally cost $9.95 but I got mine for $7.45 with the use of my 25% discount voucher from the Entertainment Book. The nasi goreng served here was the Indonesian version that combines sambal with kecap manis giving the fried rice its authentic flavour and tossed with egg, fresh vegetables and bite-size boneless chicken pieces. My takeaway container was filled to the brim, a generous serving enough for me to have two meals. There are communal seating areas in the square which caters for all diners from the food stalls in the vicinity so had my lunch at one of the nearby tables. The nasi goreng was mildly spiced with good flavour (you can add more sambal from the self-serve condiments available at the pick up area). Hmm, the food reminds me a lot of Noodle Canteen back in Wellington, a regular lunch spot back when I was working in Telecom NZ. With mains no more than $14, Wok On Inn is a pretty affordable place to come for a quick meal. 

Wok On Inn Noodle Bar at The Rocks

Special Nasi Goreng with Chicken ($9.95)


Wok on Inn Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


If you've come by The Rocks Square between 12th April - 12th May, there is no way you can miss seeing the four-storey high The Rocks Windmill which was built for the 4-week season of workshops, performances, film and music. I took a quick visit into the modern day mill after lunch, having a look inside as well as making my way up the flight of stairs to the mezzanine that was hosting a free exhibition Milling About today, an exhibit of findings presented by The Lot on their residency project to 're-imagine' Cumberland Street South in The Rocks. I found out that one of the events held during the windmill season was the opportunity to pay homage to pardoned convict Robert Sidaway - in the last 18th century, Sidaway opened the colony's first theatre and allowed patrons to pay for entry with flour; every weekend during the windmill season, you can collect a bag of wheat at The Rocks Discovery Museum and grind it into your own flour in the windmill. How cool is that! Photo of the windmill:





Comments

Popular Posts