Bibaps, North Sydney (5th July 2012)

It has been awhile since I last been to Bibaps in Berry Square food court for lunch so headed over today to grab myself a Bibaps Lunch Box (Dosirak) for $6.90. A dosirak (the Korean equivalent of a Japanese bento) is a single-portion takeaway box that contains of rice, meat or fish, and one or more pickled or cooked vegetables. Here at Bibaps, their dosirak comes standard with a tempura prawn on a bed of short-grained rice, a small side of japchae (literally meaning 'a mixture of vegetable' in Korean, this side dish can be served hot or cold), pickled radish and your choice of either teriyaki fish, chicken or beef.

Back at my desk with my teriyaki fish dosirak, it was time to dig in. The pieces of white fish was lightly battered and fried then drenched in teriyaki sauce, too salty to have on its own but great when had with rice. The food was tasty and definitely good value for $6.90 though my slight gripe was with its garnish of leafy greens - most looked a ghastly wilted yellow so I just picked them out and continued on with my meal. My favourite food in the dosirak has got to be the cold japchae - sweet potato glass noodles stir-fried with shredded mushrooms and carrots in sesame oil topped with a sprinkle of sesame seeds. I could happily have japchae as a main! Personally, I reckon the japchae would have tasted a lot better with sliced shiitake mushroom than button mushroom. Bibaps recent swap to use button mushrooms in their dishes is the key reason why I have stopped having their bibaps - button mushrooms have a distinctly different taste and is not a fungi normally used in Asian cooking. Granted, it is cheaper in cost than shiitake mushrooms but deflects the dish from its authenticity.



Bibaps Lunch Box with Teriyaki Fish ($6.90)


Bibaps Menu, Reviews, Photos, Location and Info - Zomato


Comments

Popular Posts