Banana Walnut Muffin

Whilst skimming through my collection of recipes to plan out the family meals for the week, I stumbled upon some old muffin recipes from my university days. Back then, I was always rushing from one lecture to the next, burning the midnight oil studying or working on assignments, and juggling a part-time job at the local supermarket; I didn't have much time to spare and muffins became a staple breakfast or afternoon tea snack on the go. One of my favourite was the banana walnut muffin - a moist banana muffin likened to banana bread with a delicious nutty flavour

I made a batch of the muffins for my little one's playdate earlier in the week and it went down a treat with the mummies! Sadly I have no clue who or where I sourced the original recipe from which I've adapted over the years - if your recipe is similar to the one below, let me know so I can credit you as source.



Banana Walnut Muffin


Banana Walnut Muffin (recipe adapted from unknown source)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 25 mins


Makes 12 muffins



Ingredients:
125 grams butter
250 grams caster sugar
2 large eggs
200 grams plain flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
100 ml sour cream
¾ cup chopped walnuts
250 grams mashed bananas


Method:

1. Preheat oven to 180°C (160°C fan-forced). Line a 12-cup muffin tray with baking cases.
2. Using an electric mixer, cream butter with sugar in a mixing bowl till light and fluffy. Add in eggs and sour cream alternately, folding into creamed butter with a spatula.
3. Add in mashed bananas and mix well. Add in the flour and baking soda, mix till combined. Fold in chopped walnuts.
4. Fill the lined muffin tray with the mixture and bake for 20-25 minutes or until skewer comes out clean. Transfer muffins to a rack to cool.


The muffins taste best served warm with a spread of butter or margarine. You can replace the chopped walnuts with pecans; both taste equally moreish. The nuttiness of these golden beauties makes them so addictive and yummy it's hard to stop at just one!

Comments

Popular Posts