Weekend with friends (15th - 17th February 2008)

Friday, 15th February 2008: Went to catch up with Hew and family tonight at her friend's BBQ in Mt Cook. Her friends were all Malaysians living in Wellington and I have to admit, it sure felt somewhat strange to be in the company of Malaysians who are in my age group. They were all attached and most have young kids, making me wonder if I was falling behind track. Well, I need to first find me a man! Any eligible men out there? :P

It was nice to hang out with fellow Malaysians and chat (yep, food was definitely one of the many topics of discussion). Thanks for having me there! And apologies for my lateness. I was late because I went swimming after work (I know, you must think I'm nuts to go swimming on a Friday evening but I've not swam since Tuesday and felt really guilty for being lazy) and did 20 laps for the first time today - yippee! I'm getting better at swimming, day-by-day :)

I decided to go to Latinos Bar tonight. Haven't been social dancing on a Friday night much and was itching for a few good dances. Carlos's band was playing tonight and most of the regular dancers should be there. Hew tagged along with me to check out the local salsa scene. It was her first time in a salsa environment and I was glad she had blast! She even had a few dances with some of my friends (Gordon taught her a few steps) and I think she might be hooked! Hehe...I had good fun tonight. Surprisingly not many people turned up thus there was lots of room to dance. I hardly had time to take a breathe before getting invited to another dance! Even had a cha-cha with my new Brazilian friend, Jessica - it was lots of fun dancing together :) Photos taken tonight:







































































Oh my, it was past 1am and Hew still didn't want to go home! Hey girl, about time you sign yourself up for a few classes and join us social dancing on Fridays. It was 2am by the time I dropped her home. Thanks for the wonderful night and we'll have to do this again soon!


Saturday, 16th February 2008: Couldn't sleep in past 9.30am today as I've got a busy day ahead! My morning was spent doing housework, checking out my emails, watching Sex in the City reruns and baked some muffins before heading out at 12pm to the hairdressers for a haircut. Oh, you have to try this muffin recipe I found on the internet - I could gobble up a few muffins at one go - yikes!

BANANA WALNUT MUFFINS

Ingredients:
125 grams butter
250 grams caster sugar
2 large eggs (beaten lightly)
200 grams plain flour
1 tsp baking soda
100 grams sour cream
3/4 cup chopped walnuts
250 grams mashed bananas

Method:
(1) Cream butter with sugar till creamy.
(2) Add in beaten eggs and then the sour cream. Mix well.
(3) Add in mashed bananas and mix.
(4) Add in flour and baking soda. Mix well.
(5) Fold in chopped walnuts and pour into muffin tray. Fill the muffin cup till about 3/4 high so that when it bakes, it doesn't overflow.
(6) Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for about 40 - 45 mins or till cooked (remember the skewer test).

Photo of my yummy muffins:


Opsie, better finish up my cleaning later or I'll be late for my hair appointment!! I've been getting my hair cut at getfunkd on Manners Street with Warren for nearly 2 years now and he's wonderful - he knows what suits me and doesn't try to push me to buy hair products (oh, I've had previous hairdressers elsewhere that would yak non-stop - can be quite unbearable at times). I only see him every 4-6 months to tidy up my ends and thin my voluminous hair. Not sure if it's a blessing or a curse to have super thick strands of hair AND lots of it, mine is one that doesn't need a blow dryer to add volumn :)

The rest of my afternoon was spent having a quick coffee catch-up session with Ken, a 2-hour salsa practice and a quick trip home to shower and change before popping over to my Brazilian sister Rose's place to give her some muffins and quick catch-up. Phew, so many things happening, so little time!

At 8pm, I met up with Rosel in Courtenay Place and had dinner at Espressoholic. It was lovely to spend the evening with her and getting to know her better :) We chatted and laughed a lot. I had a great time - we have to do this more often, girl!

Wellington sure is a small place (either that, or I know lots of people here) - in a short span of 2 hours, I bumped into singer friend, Liva, Brazilian Riccardo (ops, did I interrupt your date?) and another friend from my previous place of residence, Aben. Wow...

Rosel and I then went to Jo's place after Espressoholic. Jo had invited a few friends over for a BBQ party but I guess due to the wet weather, not many people turned up. But that's ok - we had a few crazy dances in her living room with Lia and friends! What a laugh! The gang went on to town to party but I didn't join in as I was feeling tired after a long day. You guys have fun! Photos taken at Jo's: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8070917@N05/sets/72157603920778826/detail/


Sunday, 17th February 2008: Today was a quiet day spent on my own cleaning up my mess in the kitchen from yesterday (oh-o, you caught me red-handed!), swimming, doing my shopping for the week and relaxing at home.

Comments

Popular Posts