Wellington Sevens Weekend (1st - 3rd February 2008)

The Wellington Sevens or The NZI International Sevens is an annual rugby sevens tournament held in Wellington, New Zealand. The tournament, part of the IRB Sevens World Series, is played at Wellington's Westpac Stadium and is normally held on the first weekend of February.
Over 30,000 supporters descend on Wellington every year for the annual event to watch over 16 international teams challenge each other for the cup. This year, New Zealand won the Wellington cup - go Kiwis! Most of the people who go to the stadium however are not there to watch the rugby, but to have a good time. Though I've lived in Wellington for over 6 years, I have not yet been to the stadium to watch a rugby game or participate in the Sevens i.e. getting together with friends in costumes at the stadium. Something to add to my to-do list for next year!
It is always interesting to walk around town during the Sevens period and watch or join the crowd. The town is filled with people, energy, colours, costumes and a lot of alcohol consumption :P

Friday, 1st February 2008: I went to Mike's place and met up with the usual Friday BBQ boys after work but didn't stay till late as Jo had invited me to a party at Mac's Shed 22 Brewery located at the Wellington waterfront. Well, I kind of gate-crashed the party in the sense that it wasn't Jo's party - it was a party that her flatmate, Sam, was invited to, and Sam invited Jo who in turn brought a few more girlfriends along. We (me, Jo, Sam, Rose, Lia and Rosel) didn't stay very long though and headed to town to see what else was happening. The town should be packed with people dressed up in all sorts coming from the stadium.
Made a brief stop at the Four Kings, a newly opened sports bar on Taranaki Street but the night was still young (not even 11pm), it was pretty quiet so Jo ushered us all to Electric Avenue on Courtenay Place for a few drinks. A rather interesting place that plays retro 80s hits. Ooo, if you are a cocktail fan and love Midori, make sure you try their Blade Runner. Very nice! Sam shouted us a round of shots to start our party night out - 1, 2, 3, DRINK!
A few crazy photos, dancing to 80s music and drinks later, the gang headed over to Shooters Bar for more dancing. Hahaha, it was such a laugh and much fun to watch Sam, Lia and Rosel sing their hearts out the words to familiar pop songs!
"Where to next?" you ask? We continued on and headed to Wellington Sports Cafe a little further down Courtenay Place where the girls started dancing on the dance platform/stage! I joined them for a few songs and decided to check if Latinos Bar was open on my own. It was Clare's birthday and she had invited some friends to social dance tonight at Latinos but I had been texting a few friends in the salsa gang and none of them replied. Strange...
Turned out that Latinos was opened and everyone was on the dancefloor so they didn't see my text! Too much of a coincidence that Ramnish, Ken and Annie all didn't check their mobile phones...Happy Birthday to you, Clare! It was nice to catch up with everyone and have a few dances before heading back to join Jo and gang.
By the time I got to the clubbing bunch, they were already in Jet Bar! My god was the place packed and I was stuck outside in the queue for like 15 minutes, at the least!! I think I was only inside for 10 minutes before the group decided to make a move again back up Courtenay Place, making a brief stop at Electric Avenue before going to Good Luck Bar on Cuba Street. Apparently Good Luck Bar is the last place to go before heading home. Why? According to the others, this was the place that you can get 'lucky', if you get the hint. I see...
Guess who we met at Good Luck? Our Cuban friend, Mohe!! Now that's very good luck given that we met him and he shouted me and Jo each a glass of caipirinha (Brazil's national cocktail) - obrigada ('thank you' in Portuguese)! I didn't dance much at this bar as I was feeling somewhat exhausted.
Wow, it was 2am by the time I drove home. I've not been clubbing or club-hopping this much! And can you believe that I'm not able to keep up with the others? Sheesh! I've got used to just chilling out at home or salsa dancing on Friday nights - drinking and clubbing is something out of the norm for my system. Hey, but it's nice to do something different! Spices up your life :) Photos taken partying tonight: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8070917@N05/sets/72157603852059985/detail/

Saturday, 2nd February 2008
: Got up around 9am to do some housework and headed out with Ramnish to do some shopping for our upcoming Tongariro Crossing trip scheduled later this month. Bought myself a cheap pair of hiking boots and waterproof pants - hope the weather will be good for a smooth and easy hike :)
Caught up with Helbert in the afternoon for swimming at the pool (by the way, he coaches me swimming). I'm getting better with my freestyle and have less fear of the water now. Still perfecting my strokes to swim efficiently. Rewarded ourselves with a nice lunch at Courtenay Central and coffee at the waterfront after the swim before heading to the movies to watch Death at a Funeral. You have to watch this British comedy - got me smiling the rest of the day when I think of some scenes in the movie!
We had a few drinks at home and around 10.30pm headed down to town. A section of Courtenay Place was closed to road vehicles for people to party and what a party it was! Streams of people in costumes flooded the streets (I wouldn't advise you to drive near Courtenay Place - too many people on the streets!). There was a live band playing and another huge screen put up with loud speakers for everyone to dance to the music. Bars were too packed and we decided not to queue to get in but stayed outside to breathe in the atmosphere and energy of the night. Photos taken tonight: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8070917@N05/sets/72157603851996793/detail/

Sunday, 3rd February 2008
: Lia had suggested to go for a day trip to Somes Island today but not many friends turned up so her, Jo and I ended up spending a few hours in the sun at Oriental Bay beach. Photos taken at the beach: http://www.flickr.com/photos/8070917@N05/sets/72157603850018541/detail/
I spent the rest of my Sunday at home and decided to bake a banana cake (had too many bananas at home and they were starting to turn brown). Tried the following simple recipe which I found from the internet:
BANANA CAKE
Ingredients:
180 grams butter
180 grams caster sugar
2 eggs
250 grams plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
220 grams mashed bananas
50 grams fresh milk


Method:
(1) Cream butter and sugar till light and creamy.
(2) Pour in eggs gradually and beat till creamy.
(3) Add in milk and mashed bananas, and mix well.
(4) Add in flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda, and mix well.
(5) Pour into an 8" round tray and bake at 175 degrees Celsius for about 50 to 60 minutes or until cooked (use a skewer to poke through the cake - if it comes out clean, that means your cake is done).


Photo of the banana cake:


Anyone care to join me for some cake and coffee? I can't finish it on my own...

Comments

  1. I want!!! I want!!! The cake looks sooo yummy! :)

    PS: Happy Chinese New Year to you!!! Going back to BP tonight with Ah-Siow...

    Cheers,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts